Yesterday marked the 20th anniversary of the death of legendary America rapper, the Notorious B.I.G. real name was Christopher Wallace, who passed away on the 9th of March 1997 (aged 24) in Los Angeles.
Undoubtedly a hip-hop icon, B.I.G left an indelible mark on the world and influenced a generation of artists, with his flawless rap flow and profound lyrics on urban life in America. His debut album, “Ready to Die,” released in 1994 remains a rap classic.
B.I.G received numerous accolades posthumously, a testament of his influence and enduring legacy.
On the 20th year anniversary of his death, we remember Biggie Smalls through his quotes, and excerpts from his music.
1. “I never thought it could happen, this rappin’ stuff.”
2. “It was all a dream. I used to read Word Up magazine. Salt-N-Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine. Hangin’ pictures on my wall. Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl, I let my tape rock till my tape popped.”
3. “We can’t change the world unless we change ourselves.”
4. “Considered a fool ’cause I dropped out of high school. Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood.”
5. “Learn to treat life to the best, put stress to rest.”
6. “Take a better stand. Put money in my mom’s hand. Get my daughter this college plan, so she don’t need no man.”
7. “You know very well who you are, don’t let em hold you down, reach for the stars.”