Relatives of Robert Mugabe have issued a statement expressing their concern and displeasure at Zimbabwe’s government for developing the funeral programme without consulting his immediate family.
Mugabe had expressed his wishes not to be buried at Heroes Acre because he did not want President Emmerson Mnangagwa to “pontificate over his dead body”. The government declared Mugabe a “national hero,” a status which carries the honour of being buried at the National Heroes’ Acre, situated west of the capital, Harare.
A statement, issued by Mugabe’s nephew Patrick Zhuwao, said family members had not been consulted on the funeral arrangements by the government.
“We have also observed with shock that the government of Zimbabwe is attempting to coerce us to accept a programme for the funeral and burial of the late Robert Gabriel Mugabe which is contrary to his wishes on how he wished to have his mortal remains interred”.
I have been tasked by the late Robert Gabriel Mugabe's immediate family to disseminate this statement on the lack of consultation by the Government of Zimbabwe with regard to the programme of the funeral & burial of the late Robert Gabriel Mugabe. # https://t.co/mHSZ2q2LwV
— Patrick Zhuwao (@PatrickZhuwao) September 12, 2019
The family said it was willing to work with the government on arrangements “in conformance to his wishes on how his mortal remains will be interred”.
Mugabe’s family also reportedly said he preferred to be buried in his rural home in Zvimba.
President Mnangagwa earlier this week said that Mugabe would be buried on Sunday, but did not confirm the burial place.
There is still no agreement and clarity on where the former president is going to be buried, and there are reports that the family has snubbed the National Heroes’ Acre option.